Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Got Milk {Suggestions}?

Okay, I really need some advice. Does anyone have a secret on how to boost a mom's milk supply? For nearly eight months I've been able to pump enough milk for little Crewe, but my supply has gone way down over the past month and my stash of frozen milk is quickly disappearing. 

Believe me, I'd like to drop the 5-7 times per day pumping routine from my schedule, but breast milk is Crewe's best defense against infection AND he's allergic to all of the formulas we've tried. The only formula that he hasn't had a reaction to is Similac Alimentum. The Alimentum only has one problem. It's OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. Seriously, it's twice as expensive as the next most expensive formula. We're talking about $10 per day expensive. 

Any ideas? So far I've tried fenugreek and diet root beer...

7 comments:

Mom said...

Fenugreek worked for me. Just made my body smell like maple syrup, which SEEMS like that wouldn't be a bad thing, until it happens. I bought Alimentum and Nutramegen (Enfamel's version) for many months and it hurt, but Evy couldn't take anything else....try Craigslist to buy it cheap.

Carolyn said...

This may not be applicable, but I found I had a harder time keeping up my milk supply when I started exercising more. FWIW.

Other than that, I'm sure you are already doing everything I would recommend -- pump on a super regular schedule, drink lots of water, try to really relax when you're pumping, etc. And you could try changing the settings on the pump's suction strength.

Anne Marie said...

Ok I know this sounds strange but make sure you aren't sutting any of your calories or excercising too much and then try some caffinated beverages. I know it sounds wierd but when I was loosing my milk with William some Dr. Pepper and regular pumping made it all come back.

Anonymous said...

I am like a cow when it comes to milk even when I am too skinny as you witnessed before, but when I tried to pump sometimes it was hard unless I was in a very quiet room and it sounds weird but I had to close my eyes and relax as much as possible and not think about anything else and the milk would come. I would suggest upping your calories and like everyone said not exercising too much. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

oops one more thing. A woman in my ward proved to her insurance company that the expensive formula was the only one her son could have and they paid for it, so you could try that just a thought.

Niki said...

Well so far I agree with everyone. Exercising made my milk decrease and my doctor said to drink a lot of water and to pump extra and it didn't help all that much. She also suggested going to a health food store and they may have some "vitamin" or "herb" type things that would help. Max was 8 months at the time so I just called it quits. But you may want to give it a try! Good luck....by the way, I miss you, it has been too long!

Brittany said...

I had the same problem with Abby and when I had Tori I took Fenugreek everyday (6 tablets) and it really helped. I feel your pain really!
Good luck