Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Adventures in PottyTRAINing

There are many joys in being a parent, but potty training so far doesn't make my list of joys. Cal seems to "get" the concept and doesn't like a wet diaper, but he just doesn't want to be inconvenienced with the bother if the reward isn't motivating enough. So to solve the wet diaper issue, he just takes off his diaper when it becomes wet (like during Nursery on Sundays or when he wants to play the piano)! Argh!

He does take the TRAIN part of potty training seriously and thinks that he should be rewarded with a train car for each successful deposit he makes. He was so determined to get his favorite engine, Gordon, that he sat on his little red potty for an hour and a half last Sunday until he had a successful attempt (he had the "ring" to prove it, too). Since achieving Gordon, it's like he feels that he has "arrived" and doesn't need to try anymore. What am I going to do with this boy?

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Potty training is no laughing matter, but when your blog first came up with that naked bum on the piano bench picture, I had to laugh out loud. :)

I'm a believer in cold turkey potty training, as in no more diapers and I have to really stay inches from them for a few days and catch and point out when they go. Both Isabel and Lucas trained in a couple of days this way. It can get messy, but it helps them totally get the concept.

Good luck! It is not one of the more fun parenting bridges to cross.

Margaret W. Hammond, RDN said...

Hang in there! I just kept telling myself during potty training months "He's not going to be in high school wearing a diaper." It all works out if you don't stress out in the meantime. I do like the padded plastic pants that you can put on top of the underwear for when you are out running errands so there aren't any messes to clean up at the store or in the car! :)

Mom said...

Jada refused to poop in the toilet. She always pooped in her pants. So, I reverted to cold showers as punishment, because I knew she got the whole concept and could go in the toilet. If she pooped her pants I stripped her and turned on the shower and held her in there for a few seconds! Happily and cheerily saying "Oh, you pooped in your pants so you have to take a cold shower" - I was never mad at her when I did it. I only had to do it twice and problem was solved. :)

Ashley Kay said...

this boy is not stupid- i love it! i'm sure he'll understand EVENTUALLY ;) love ya guys!