Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Water, Boots and Nuts

We got drenched with rain last week and are getting another dose of it today. Rain in the desert is actually a very cool sight to behold. The washes, which normally are dry beds, turn into raging rivers of tan water and puddles develop everywhere.

Cal couldn't resist the appeal of the puddles while he was with me at a YW presidency meeting last week. He and his two-year old partner in crime decided to sneak out of the house while we were meeting. By the time we discovered the boys had escaped, Cal had soaked his jeans and was having the time of his life. He was literally dancing in the biggest puddle he could find. No coat, no boots, just his little converse shoes.

So with Cal shoeless and wearing borrowed pants and socks we left the meeting to pick up a few necessary items (like diapers) at Target before the roads flooded. While in the diaper aisle, Cal began pointing while saying "cute boots, cute boots, mama." When I looked up I was sure he was pointing to these beauties:


But, alas, he was talking about these Transfomer things.
He was so excited about the boots and just giggled when I let him check them out. After he looked at me with his big blue eyes and asked for them, I noticed they were on clearance (imagine those cute boots, on clearance?). And so, Cal got his "cute boots." And now, he wears them everywhere. I don't mind a bit because he can put them on and take them off himself!

As if Cal didn't get enough of the water during the storms, he screamed out "I WANT water" at the top of his lungs during church on Sunday. And then he shouted it again. And again. Talk about embarrassing. His nursery leader mentioned that she was glad to hear that he stands up for himself because he's always so polite and sweet during nursery. Really? If I didn't know her better, I'd swear she was confusing Cal with another boy. Our little Cal can be a sweetheart for sure, but we don't see much of his quiet, unquestioning side. Maybe we'll sit next to Sister G. next Sunday so we can see the angel Cal...

This week another food was added to Crewe's growing list of allergies - nuts. There was no blood or muscle test this time - just big brother sharing his snack of cashews. It took only a piece to do him in. All of the usual reactions kicked-in: swelling, hives all over his body, itchy face and airway and several rounds of vomiting. At times like this I am SO grateful for the trach because I know he has an open airway as long as the trach is clear. This guy is such a trooper.

3 comments:

Anne Marie said...

I'm glad Crewe has that trach has well. Holy Cow! I hope Dr. Tennant helps out with that one. The best part of the post was Cal being so nice and polite in nursery. Just in case you wanted to know it means you are a really good Mom. When you kids act better for other people than they do for you it means you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work.

Melissa said...

What a fun post, minus the nut allergy. Connor has a peanut allergy, with the same reactions as Crewe. No fun at all.

Love the cactus/rain clouds picture, and I could totally imaging your desert rain coming. I love stormy weather. And the boots story made me LOL, glad Cal was happy with his new pair of cuteness.

RQ said...

Sorry to hear about more allergies. I guess the up side is knowing something else to avoid. I'm glad you found boots you could agree on. I'm looking for some for the kids but we have very differnt ideas of what would be okay to wear everyday with all outfits :)