Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Crewe's Leap


Crewe's condition has opened our eyes in so many ways, especially in how we think about and take care of our bodies. In October we learned about a fascinating approach to medicine the blends the best of western and eastern medicines. We took Crewe to Utah shortly after to learn more about the treatment options and see how he would respond to a few treatments.

Our main objective was to reduce the swelling in his face and neck so that his airway would open enough that he wouldn't need the trach. We had no idea that it would help his development. In the week (singular) following the treatments we saw a huge leap in his development. By "leap," I mean that he:
  • voluntarily puts weight on his legs when in the standing position (first time in his life)
  • started crawling on his hands and knees instead of just commando style
  • immediately began signing 10-15 signs
  • makes more sounds and can even say a few words
For the first time, Crewe is beginning to close the 50%+ delay in his motor skills. Every single one of Crewe's therapists (2 physical therapists, 1 speech, 1 occupational, and 1 developmental specialist) has remarked at how unusual his progress has been since the treatments. There are also promising indicators that the treatments may help Crewe overcome his food allergies.

We are so encouraged by what we've seen that we are in the process of making arrangements to spend two weeks in February with the medical doctor in Dallas who is pioneering this approach. More to come!

7 comments:

Sherrie Martineau said...

Such good news! That is a lot of meaningful progress! I realize more and more each day that we never know what is ahead of us! You are doing fantastic and I love those little boys! They can touch a heart with just a look or a sigh. Crewe has an amazing way of looking deep into people's eyes. I think he can really read into our souls!
Your new family photos are so beautiful, I'm hoping to receive one on a Christmas card (?)
sure do love each of you!

Mindy said...

I am soo excited to hear that!!! And..May I say your family pic and new pics are just sooooooooo Darling!! So cute!

Melissa said...

Fantastic progress! Can't wait to hear more details.

Ashley Kay said...

aww Camille! that is such great news! i am so happy he is progressing and will continue!
p.s. I LOVE your new pictures- what an adorable family! love you guys!

Mom said...

This is amazing. What great news! I too love the gorgeous family photo in front of the beautiful leaves.

The Frosts said...

Wow! I am so excited for all of you for the progress he has made. I'm amazed how well alternative medicine can assist in these tough cases. I hope you can continue to have prgress with him. PS. LOVED your Christmas card. Adorable!

melba said...

Your family is amazing. I am so grateful for your wisdom, intelligence, faith, and talents. I am the recipient of happy times because of you. The news about Crewe was especially exciting. And the picture was beautiful. Also thanks for the card. Very clever. Give one another hugs from me.