Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Is it Time?

When it comes to potty training, I tend to think like my Aunt Erin. That is, wait until they are begging you. So, the question is does Cal's current behavior constitute begging. You know, things like:
  • taking off his diaper and bringing it to me and saying "wet"
  • retrieving his Ernie and Bert toilet seat from its hiding place in the cabinet, placing it on the toilet by himself, and then telling me to "help"
  • wanting to read the book "Bye-Bye Diapers" constantly
  • working the word "poop" into several conversations throughout they day
During our last visit with the pediatrician, he told us that if a child can operate the remote control, he can be potty-trained. In that case, Cal has been ready for months. So, Erin and all of you mothers out there, what suggestions do you have? I've read and heard a lot about the 1 day program, some good and some not so good. What has worked for you?

3 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Yeah certainlyl is time. I recommend Toilet Training in Less than a day by Azrin and Foxx and that means the one from 1977 or somewhere around there. Seriously William was potty trained in 5 hours. Caroline another story altogether but with Cal I think he will be more like William. You can even have Chris do it.

Anne Marie said...

I forgot I had some great tips in a post I did after I trained William. Here is the link http://theshanerandannerfam.blogspot.com/2007/07/few-things-i-have-learned-about.html?zx=8e8eba72c4e808aa.

Niki said...

I did the potty training in a day with Tate and it was ok. He was really scared about #2. So with Max I decided to forgo the book and just give it a try with some exciting prizes when he did it! Well, it took about 1-2 days and he was good to go. Every child is so different, but Cal sure sounds like he is ready.