Some days I feel like I'm wearing a t-shirt that says "my hands are full." In big bold letters. On the front and the back. It seems that anywhere I go with the two boys in tow there is at least one (usually more) person commenting to me "wow, you've got your hands full."
Tonight I got the line again. The difference today was that Chris and I were both with the boys. One would think that a 1:1 adult ratio would be enough, but it wasn't yesterday at Chevy's Restaurant. We decided to stop by for a quick bite after meeting with a team of Crewe's doctors downtown. We should have gone to McDonald's instead.
Cal was practically bouncing off the walls. All he wanted to do was to run around the restaurant. If he bumped into a customer or server carrying a huge tray of food, he thought it was funny and was just encouraged to keep up the game. I ended up taking him outside in the 111 degree weather to run around on the grass so Chris could eat, and Chris did the same while I ate.
When Chris asked for the bill, the server simply said "it's been taken care of." Chris inquired as to who had taken care of the bill and the server simply said the person did not want to be identified. We have a suspicion that it was the same gentleman sitting at a neighboring table who told me "you have your hands full." Afterall, he mentioned having a three year old son himself who is very active.
Thank you, Mr. Anonymous. Suddenly, my hands don't feel quite as full right now. Your random act of kindness calmed my spirit, gave me an extra burst of patience with my kiddos and created a desire within me to do something kind for someone else.
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
c.jpg)
6 comments:
Awesome!
Great story! I have a feeling we should all be more like Mr. Anonymous and stories like this make me want to be.
What a great experience, thanks for sharing! I've been told MANY times that I have my hands full, but no one has ever done an act of service as a result (I also loved being asked once if ALL 3 kids are mine. Seriously? There are 3 of them, not 10).
What a wonderful story. Real life experience that will not be forgotten. Thanks for sharing.
Love to all
Nana
I get that comment when my four kids are being good! My friends with 5 or more kids deal with a lot of negativity from complete strangers. I am glad someone buoyed you up that day. We sure need it.
Margo
wow, that is an awesome story. I will remember that when my hands aren't as full in a few years. It's funny that I am reading this today because I was just telling Jeff that I get that comment every time I go out with all the kids. I get "wow,you have your hands full" and gawks and stares. I have learned to not make eye contact with people and then they don't feel so obligated to speak to me. We really are a sight to see I guess. I think the world is too used to seeing families with only one child at least in public.
Post a Comment