Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Breakthrough

At this time a week ago Crewe's specialists were discussing the option of surgery. The MRI showed that while there are still some cysts that can be treated by sclerotherapy, the treatments wouldn't solve the real problems of breathing and eating. Our stomaches were sick just thinking about surgery, the recovery, the scar tissue, and the inevitable re-growth. We were calmed a little bit by Crewe's ENT who recommended that Crewe go on a steroid and antibiotic first to see if it would go down that way.

Now, a week later we are in a much better place and it has nothing to do with steroids or antibiotics. It has everything to do with a certain speech pathologist that we met for the first time the day after Crewe's MRI. Kelly has an 11 month waiting list, but somehow got Crewe in for a consultation regarding his eating problems. While I was describing Crewe's issues to her, she mentioned that she is trained in lymphatic massage and asked if she could try some techniques on Crewe. "Seriously? Can you start right now, PLEASE?" 

The long story made short is that within 24 hours of the first massage, Crewe's swelling significantly decreased, the food vomiting stopped, and his trach secretions went WAY down. The massages have been so successful so far that I haven't even filled Crewe's prescriptions for the steroids and antibiotics. 

Is it a coincidence that we happened to get into a speech pathologist who has an 11 month waiting list and who also is trained in lymphatic massage the week that Crewe's specialists were conferencing about emergency surgery? Not a chance. Kelly is a direct answer to prayer.

5 comments:

The Lunds said...

Oh, thank God! I am glad that your prayers were answered so quickly.

-Margo

Wendie said...

Camille - that's wonderful news. Aren't miracles amazing? What's almost as amazing is figuring out that sometimes doctors don't know everything and "alternative" therapies can be real lifesavers. It's great to hear that the massage is working - I hope it keeps up!!

Anonymous said...

Camille, That is wonderful!!! I have been so worried about him and I am so glad that he is doing better. I was worried about that little guy. I will call you this week to see how everything is going. We love you all

Melissa said...

What a fantastic turn of events! So glad to hear you are seeing real results.

Mom said...

Yeah, Kelly!!! Sorry I've been so sick and just catching up on your blog. I wanted to chose Phoenix over Vegas partly because I wanted to hold little Crewe! But, I got turned off on Phoenix when we thought we were going to stay in a nice Scottsdale resort and was actually a totally lame hotel.