Monday, March 2, 2009

A "Growing" Problem

One of the signature behaviors of cystic hygroma is that it can grow at any time, at almost any speed, and without any warning. We learned that lesson when Crewe was five days old and again when he turned six weeks old. Now, at almost nine months old, we are reminded again of how quickly things can grow.

Over the past ten days, Crewe's upper lip and right cheek have puffed up significantly. Crewe's neck also seems bigger as it now covers his trach tube when he sits. The "bleebs" in his mouth are also bigger and have turned white. New ones are appearing almost daily. The increases in swelling has made breathing and eating more difficult. Solids in particular are a challenge and often come back up when he coughs in an effort to breathe.

While Crewe was at PCH last week for a regularly scheduled ultrasound, I asked the interventional radiologists to stop by to take a look. They could not believe how much his face had grown in just six weeks and immediately scheduled him for an MRI to see if there were areas they could reach through sclerotherapy to help alleviate some of his breathing and swallowing issues.

The MRI was today and we are hoping that the scan will reveal some clues. The doctors are going to conference after they can read the scan and recommend a plan.

3 comments:

melba said...

I realize more of the true situation when I read it in print. Thanks so much for keeping me better informed.

I love you all and you are constantly in my prayers.

Nana

Sherrie Martineau said...

You are on such an adventure, not knowing which day will bring what type of joy or challenge. I know Crewe is an amazing young man who belongs particularly with you and Chris. We send our love, and pray for you to have peace in the ever emerging challenges. We hope it's just a small bump in the road and soon in the rear view mirror!
love you guys! Sherrie

The honest seeker. said...

CAMMILE!!!I am so sorry that this has happened!:( But i will pray for Crewe and hopefully he will be better soon!:) I am REALLY REALLY sad that i cant come see you this weekend!!:( But next time my family goes down im coming too!!!
I LUV U!!! Whitney