Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Another Trip to the ER

Crewe has had a bug since Friday night. Vomiting, fever, lack of appetite, occasional cough, etc. Calahan had the same bug earlier in the week and the pediatrician told us it was just a virus and to let it take it's course. We assumed it was the same with Crewe and were just trying to ride it out.

We should know by now that even the simplest cold becomes complicated with a trach. And the trach complicated things again. Crewe's cough started to get worse. We gave him a couple of breathing treatments yesterday, but they didn't seem to help for too long. And by last night he was coughing pure blood out of his trach. It was so bad that it soaked the top of his PJs.

So...at midnight I took Crewe to the extremely busy ER at Phoenix Children's. It was so busy that they had to take his vitals in the waiting room. (PCH has a big problem with those on state-sponsored insurance going to the ER for routine matters because the ER doesn't have a co-pay like the regular doctor does, but I digress). After several hours, tests, and x-rays, we learned that the poor little guy has pneumonia in his right lung AND the most recent strain of the flu. The attending doctor gave Crewe an antibiotic through his IV and asked us to continue one at home. The antibiotic should have a big impact within the first 24 hours so we are hoping for a much better day tomorrow.

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

We'll be thinking of you today. Hope he starts to feel better!

Melissa said...

Oh, poor Crewe! I really hope he improves quickly.

Sherrie Martineau said...

My heart goes out to all of you. He is such a sweet, pure, happy little guy, to know he is sick breaks my heart. We send our love and prayers. I wish I could come give you a break and you could get some sleep. Hang in there.

Ashley Kay said...

awww poor crewe! i hope my little cousin gets better so we can play in less than a week :)

melba said...

I hope and pray the antibiotic works and that Crewe is improving. Also that none of the rest of you get it. If you feel I could help by coming down and taking care of Calahan just give the word and I will be on my way.
My prayers are with you.
Love you all so much,
Nana