Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hail to Autumn

Arizona has been our home for seven years now and I've never felt like summer was too long... until this year. There's just something wrong about 105 degree days in October.

I decorated for Halloween last week thinking that pumpkins and ghosts would at least make it feel cooler and more like autumn. I even made homemade chili, a fall conference tradition at our house. The house looked and smelled festive, but the temperature wasn't... until yesterday when we got this:

A crazy hail and rain storm that dropped the temperature 30 degrees.


Fortunately, we didn't get too much damage from the ping pong ball-sized hail and washes that became rivers. A beautiful rainbow appeared after all the machine-gun sounding hail. You can see it's reflection on the mountain.
We are now on day two of temperatures reaching just the 80s and it feels, well, like fall in Arizona. Welcome fall, I've missed you.

2 comments:

melba said...

I can somehow relate to such a storm, but I had forgotten the noise that comes along with the rain and hail. Arizona has its own unique weather, but I loved it. I'm glad it has cooled off for you. I hope it lasts.

There is something so special about your family pictures that just absolutely makes my life happier and richer. Thanks for sharing them all. Chris I think your talents are amazing. Camille you were wise when you married the "tool man" for more reasons than "he can fix everything".
I love you all so much that it makes me want to hop in the car and drive down. I just might do that this winter.
Love to all, Nana

Melissa said...

I love autumn. Looks like desert-dwelling offers some unique autumn experiences - very cool!