Saturday, May 22, 2010

Mom's the Word

(last Mother's Day with my mom aka Grammy)

There's nothing like a mother and a mother's love. Although it's a couple of weeks past mother's day, I want to let the mothers in my life know how much I love and appreciate them. You are such shining examples to me. I only hope I can mother as well as you. I thank Heavenly Father for entrusting me with the privilege of mothering Calahan and Crewe. They have opened my eyes and expanded my joy in ways I didn't know were possible.

my Nana (mom's mom), me, my Mom (Karen), Aunt Sherrie, Aunt Julie, Aunt Lisa
My mother-in-law, Kay

Another mother who inspires me is Marjorie Hinckley, a cousin to my great grandmother Bessie Howell, who I also adore greatly.
"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with perfectly manicured fingernails.

I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.

I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing my neighbor's lawn.

I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children.

I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.

I want to be there with the children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.

I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Super sweet. I love Sister Hinckley. That quote is true as can be - thanks for sharing. Great Grandmother Bessie Howell? Maybe we're related ;)

Karen said...

What beautiful thoughts. Thanks for making my role as a mother a wonderful experience and for being such a great mom to Cal and Crewe. You are amazing!