Serious trouble showed up at our house at about 10:00 on Sunday night. This trouble had not visited for several months, and our poor memories were quickly reminded of how demanding this uninvited guest can be. Each cough causes the trach tube to rub against the inside of the windpipe. After several coughs, this rubbing causes soreness. After even more coughing, the rubbing leads to a raw windpipe and eventually blood. Oh, yes and uncontrollable coughing also results in lots of vomiting.
After a night of constant coughing and suctioning and a day of more coughing, lots of vomiting, no fluids and a fever that spiked 105, I took Crewe to the ER at Phoenix Children's. I was hoping to make it at least a year since we last visited that place together, but we only made it 11 months.
The ER was completely slammed and we waited hours for someone from the IV team to come give Crewe an IV for fluids. In the meantime the doctor gave him a dose of steroids that significantly reduced his coughing and let him fall asleep. After drifting in and out of sleeping for a few hours, he woke up happy, drank 4 ounces and handed the doctor a book he wanted read to him. Those 4 ounces got him off the IV list and we made it home by 2:00 am this morning.
Crewe is clingy, but happy to be home. He hasn't spiked a fever at all today and is coughing less and less.
c.jpg)
3 comments:
Sounds like a bad duo indeed. Scary. I hope Crewe is fully on the mend.
Today your Mom told me you had to make another trip to the hospital. I certainly hope and pray that has taken care of this episode and the cough or whatever it may be has left for the rest of this year.
I received Cal's wonderful valentine today. Thank him. I will call and talk to him soon.
Love to all,
Nana
Hopefully the rest of this week has had Crewe on the mend. It is so hard with a sick little one and ER visits are never pleasant. Your determination is an inspiration :)
Post a Comment