Monday, August 15, 2011

Crewe's First Day of School

It's true, our baby Crewe is an official preschooler. Sniff, sniff.

Chris and I were hesitant about sending our littlest guy to school for the first time, but to Crewe there was no hesitation. I mean none. Crewe was so excited about his first day that he woke up at 5:30 this morning. When we walked to the end of the drive to wait for the bus, he watched like a hawk for the beloved yellow limousine that he no doubtly dreamed about for the past week.

The moment he caught a glimpse of the wheels on the bus, he yelled "there it is!" and made a mad dash toward it. When the doors opened, he stepped up without taking a single look back. Chopped liver, that's what we are when the bus is around.
"there it is!"

Like every mom who can't believe her baby is going to school, I naturally jumped in the car and followed the bus to school. At school, I found the principal and preschool teachers excitedly greeting the kiddos in the 95 degree weather (it was only 9 am). Crewe took a spot in the shade next to the school nurse while waiting for his classmates to arrive -- classmates like cute Mathew. Even though Crewe and Mathew had never met before, Mathew gave Crewe a big hug immediately upon seeing him and then grabbed his hand. And there it happened, Crewe made his first school friend. Mathew and Crewe were still holding hands when I walked away from the school entrance!
The preschool staff have been so impressive. They really put me at ease when the entire group, including the bus driver and bus aide, showed up this past Friday for my training session on how to care for Crewe's trach and handle his allergic reactions. Hopefully, they will never have to use that EPI pen or do an emergency trach change, but if a situation arises, they know what to do.

I'm going to miss my little guy during the 2 1/2 hours he's gone Monday - Thursday. With five classmates, one teacher and two aides, I have a feeling he'll not even know I'm gone. Crewe, I can't wait to see the fun creations you will bring home in your first backpack!

7 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Cutest thing EVER! Love it! I hope he enjoys every minute. Congratulations Crewe!

Sherrie Martineau said...

Such feelings felt by a mother can in no way be manufactured by any important career or worldly applause. You did a wonderful job explaining them. Now don't you wish you could be in Crewe's head right now? No doubt a happy, adventurous little guy.
(And I bet little Matthew is your best friend too!)
Thanks for letting us catch a glimpse. Love you guys!

Karen said...

Oh my goodness! He too cute. I am with Sherrie. I wish I knew what was going through that cute little head of his. XOXOXO from Grammy.

Melissa said...

I love this post from start to finish. What a big step! His backpack is seriously cute, as is Crewe. Love the friend hand-holding. I do believe he is ready to take on the world!

Niki said...

So dang cute!! Crewe is amazing, and I am in love with little Matthew, aren't you so grateful for children like him?? Love this post!

melba said...

I am so excited to see you next week. Will love spending time with you and Cal.
Love you all,
nana

melba said...

I don't know how I missed the pics and words about Crewe's first day. But boy I could have used at least 2 kleenex's to wipe the tears of joy.

Three cheers for Matthew and Rah, Rah, Rah's for Crewe.

Glad to see Big Brother Cal helping out.