These 10 very hungry caterpillars were a Christmas gift for Cal and Crewe from their Florida cousins. On Christmas day the boys opened a butterfly garden kit complete with a butterfly home and a mail-in certificate for a set of live caterpillars. And the day I picked up the caterpillars it was Christmas all over again.
Witnessing these little creatures grow, build their cocoons and then blossom into beautiful butterflies over the past few weeks has been a fantastic experience. The boys loved seeing the visible, almost daily changes in their "pets" and having a hand in caring for them. Several times each day I would hear "mom, we need to check on the caterpillars/butterflies." There was something very moving about beholding one of nature's miracles right before our eyes and observing the intricate design, detail and delicateness of these beautiful creatures.
Turns out butterflies love freshly cut oranges.
It's like a piece of very fine ribbon -- it curls beautifully and so carefully.
(sorry, I know that was too much information for some of you).
Thank you, Klepkos, for such a great gift. We're glad you chose caterpillars over the ant farm! Those very hungry caterpillars turned into beautiful butterflies.
Yours truly,
the live insect lady (TLIL)
c.jpg)
4 comments:
I am so glad it turned out so well and he more glad I opted for the butterflies over the ant farm;) Can't wait to see you soon.
What a cool gift and a great hands on learning experience.
That is about the coolest gift EVER! My kids would go banana-whackers for something like that. Connor studied the butterfly life cycle in school this year, and was just amazed. What a fun experience! Love your nickname too.
What a great experience. I admire people that give such creative gifts. And I admire a mother who loves caring and looking after boys as well as catepillars. I wish I had been there for such a great experience.
Love to all,
Nana
Post a Comment